Today I Ate a (mostly organic) Rainbow

As a general rule, we eat pretty healthy in my house.  We always made the kids eat what we eat so they're less picky eaters.  Eating healthy is easy to do in the months when we're producing in the garden, but the rest of the time it does take a little more effort to keep the fridge stocked with fresh goodness.  A few days ago I realized I had gotten to that point where there wasn't much in fridge that qualified as green, leafy, orange, red or even yellow.  Other than bags of organic apples, kiwis & lemons of course - 'cause those are pretty much always there and we could use a little variety.

After an early meeting this morning I hit up the produce aisle - hard!  My plan of attack was to bring home at least a few days worth of rainbow foods, which yes, was inspired by Today I Ate A Rainbow!  The idea is that kids probably aren't getting 5 servings of fruits & veggies a day, so this serves as a reminder (they sell magnetic charts and such that you track each day - the goal being to fill the rainbow.)  They consider the color groups to be red, orange, yellow, green & blue/purple.  The others don't seem to hard, but finding a lot of blue/purple food is like a challenge!  Blueberries, blackberries, eggplant, purple grapes & raisins, prunes...


Here's one of the rainbow combinations I brought home.  All organic but the bananas, which is ok, because that's one of the safer foods to buy conventionally grown.  (Oh, and I only buy Chiquita after reading years ago that they were making huge efforts to protect the rainforest and using responsible farming practices.  I wish my local grocery store carried them.)  You can't see much of the blackberries, but they look yummy and the kids will wolf them down as an after school snack.  They also love them in their lunches. 

I'm looking forward to showing you my own food rainbows from my garden in a few months.  It's so much GREENER that way!  My seeds are ready and I'm itching to get some in the dirt!

Comments