The Big 4-0! Earth Day is 40!

Isn't my blog all Springy today? What do you think? It's a reflection of my unabashed excitement over the blooms bursting left & right as I walk my kids to school this week. That and my gardens are filled with little signs of Spring!

Earth Day turns 40 this year and April 22nd is creeping up on us. While I've been celebrating Earth Day since I was in elementary school, this marks the first time I'm looking at it with a social media view. The National Association of Realtors, of which I am a proud member, posted a link to a short article from mashable.com called 5 Ways to Go Green for Earth Day with Social Media.

Did you know that the first Earth Day was the catalyst in the creation of the US Environmental Protection Agency? It was also lead to the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts? No kidding! That's something to celebrate right there!

Obviously I believe that EVERY DAY MATTERS when it comes to being GREEN, so the idea of celebrating just one day is silly. However it is a nice reminder and we always do something special to mark the occasion.

Over the years we've planted trees, planted flowers, picked up garbage (in our neighborhood, plus in our town's village center, on the walking trails and in the local state forest) put up bluebird houses, and participated in every Earth Day event held in our town.

What are you doing for Earth Day?

Comments

We have participated in a park clean up/beautification project for the past 6 years. It is a great way to clean up the park, meet your neighbours (and it increases the real estate values I would think!)
PS love the flowers. Nice touch!