Upcycling?

So I feel as though I may be the last person on the planet to know what Upcycling means. Until a few days ago, I'd never heard the term. Completely oblivious I tell you. Well, it's actually a pretty simple concept, one which I was aware of, I just didn't know it had a name. Apparently my spell check doesn't know it's a real word yet either. Suddenly I don't feel so bad :)

Upcycling is taking an item and using it to make something else. Something you were going to recycle anyway, and making it better. People have been doing this is places like Africa for many, many years. Have you seen the reusable bags or pencil cases made from recycled Capri Sun juice pouches? Same idea. They're colorful and adorable, right? Last Spring I saw some beautiful high-end shopping bags made from upcycled materials in Provincetown and I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a few.

One of my past real estate clients is a very talented local artist who is creating and selling handmade jewelry at her etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/mrskrafty and she has crafted earrings made from the pages of old books! How GREEN is that?!!! (There are other beautiful items not made of paper too. Please visit her site and check it out!)

Here's a quick article that helped me get a feel for upcycling and its possibilities!
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE58T3HX20090930

Enjoy, and take a moment to do something GREEN today!

Comments