Earth Day 2015

It's a little more than a month away, but have you started thinking about Earth Day 2015?

There's an Earth Day movement/theme this year that I came across on Facebook that really resonates with me.  It's a "One Billion Trees/Seeds Planted."  I've found my theme for this year!  I haven't decided what to plant just yet - it is suggested that you plant a perennial, shrub or tree.  Planting something that produces fruit or nuts is also good, or something for bees or butterflies.  The idea is to give back to the earth.   If it's not warm enough here in my part of the woods for planting by April 22nd, I'll start a seedling (or other seeds) indoors.

This garden in Lyme, CT is one that I find inspiring, with fruit trees, vegetables, flowers, and herbs.  It's not a large space, but a very productive one.
On the topic of starting seeds, I've got my order ready to be placed from High Mowing Organic Seeds.  They're my favorite source for organic seeds and they're based out of Wolcott, VT. I find that their website isn't just a source for great organic & non-GMO seeds, but a really interesting resource for information.  Their blog is chock full of gardening & planting advice.

Comments