Vintage Linens

Every once in a while I feel the need to share with you an artisan who is creating really lovely things with recycled or repurposed materials (remember Mrs. Krafty & Stefanie Marco of KiNDSPiN Design?)

This one in particular really resonates with me...for several reasons.  The most intrinsic being that she uses vintage french linens (and grain sacks.)  I immediately connect with that because the only possession I have that belonged to my grandmother is a piece of old linen, with a narrow green stripe, used as a dishcloth.  For all I know it could have been her mother's, or grandmother's, or come over from France with earlier generations of us. It's a tangible piece of family history.  That's the thing about good linen...a piece has probably been around generations but is still in use.  It's a reminder to me that quality is worth every penny.  As you can imagine, something that lasts so long suits my GREEN sensibilities.  

One of my new favorite pillows made by Atelierbe


The artisan is Jessica, originally from CT, of Atelierbe and I first discovered her while reading one of my other favorite blogs, My French Country Home.  Jessica creates delicious pillow slips and sells them through her Etsy shop.



Once I started following her fan page on Facebook I also got to enjoy the photos she posts, including beautiful scenes of Switzerland, where she lives with her family, and photos from France, where her husband is from.  She also creates special personalized orders, so you can commission a design (I've already made a few rough sketches inspired by scenes like the Norman church in my ancestral village) for very meaningful, custom pieces.  You can even choose the fabric, and add things like ruffles or welting so suit your taste.  She ships to the US.  Fantastic, right?  Perfect gift for Francophile friends!

So as much as I do try to support my local businesses (I recently bought a sweet cake plate made by a local artist at Anything Goes, one of the shops in my village center) sometimes I still branch out to artisans across the pond.  I'm hoping that the fact that she is reusing vintage fabrics is canceling out the shipping factor :)  Then again... I could place my order and have it sent to one of my local addresses this summer when we're on vacation in Europe...

Happy Holidays!




Comments