Biodynamic Wines? Yes, Please!



My introduction to organic wines continues!  Last week I drank a Sterling Vineyards 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon, which was fruity as promised, but a little less full-bodied than I prefer.  It grew on me after a few sips, and I think it grew on hubby as well, because I think he finished the bottle on me!




The De Martino Cab - wow.  The label was right on with the full-bodied and long lasting finish.  Yum.  I'll be drinking more of that.





I thought this would be the week to try out my first biodynamic wine (at least that I'm aware of - it's entirely possible I've had some from French friends who drink organic.)  Turns out it's kind of hard to find in my little town.  Maybe it's because I didn't find the word "biodynamic" on any of the labels.  I suppose I need to go into the store armed with the names of the labels I'm looking to try.

What does biodynamic wine mean, anyway?  My understanding is that it is wine produced on a vineyard/farm where not only are the grapes grown organically sans pesticides or harsh chemicals, but using a holistic approach to the vineyard as a living system.  Vine growers might plant other crops around or near the vines, use farm animals, compost, pay attention to maintaining the soil, and bring a general sense of balance that comes from growing & farming a traditional, natural way.  OK, I'm in.  Now to get my hands on a bottle...





Two bottles of Bonterra Vineyards organic wines did make it home with me for the next 2 tastings: a 2007 Viognier & a 2009 Riesling.  Once in a while I give a Riesling a try, and with the heat we've had lately, it just seemed appropriate.  Bonterra Vineyards also has a biodynamic label - The McNab, which is comprised of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petite Sirah & Merlot.  They even have a Facebook page.

I'll be on the hunt for another biodynamic wine from Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma.  Quivira Wine supposedly makes excellent sauvignon blanc (yay!) zinfandel & rosé.   I'm also planning to try something from Grgich Hills, who earns an extra GREENIE point (you know, like a brownie point?) for running on solar energy!  I'm loving their website.

Good news for my local friends - John, my favorite package store owner from Center Package, is acquiring another local store, Wine.com, which focuses mainly on wines and high end beers.  I asked him if he'd stock my favorite Peach Lambic and he said he'd get some on order!  Next I'll ask about bringing in some more choices for organic & biodynamic wines :)

My Viognier is chilling in the fridge for later!  I'll see if my favorite organic-minded neighbor would like to sample it with me :)  I picked up a fabulous little book called green chic SAVING THE EARTH in style by Christie Matheson.  She begins it with a quote from Saint-Exupery's Little Prince, "It's a question of discipline, " the little prince told me later on.  "When you're finished washing and dressing each morning, you must tend your planet."  Cheers to that!

Comments